W&L community mourns passing of Cade Gold, ‘20

Students collected notes and memorial gifts in Elrod Commons last week to share with the family of Cade Gold, ‘20, who passed away on March 16. Student Affairs staff also coordinated transportation to the memorial service for Cade in his hometown of York, Pa., which took place on Saturday, March 24, and notified the student body of the establishment of the Cade Gold Scholarship, which will benefit football and lacrosse players at his former high school. Last week’s remembrances followed a candlelight vigil that took place on Sunday, March 18.

Cade Gold played football during his first year. Photo courtesy of W&L Athletics.

Editor’s note: Tyler Lilie attended Dallastown Area High School in York, Pa., a year behind Cade. They were football teammates and close friends in class. Tyler says he and Cade shared the same passion for biology, chemistry and anatomy. Cade invited Tyler to visit Washington and Lee while he was still in high school; Tyler credits Cade’s presence at W&L as a prominent factor in choosing to attend the university. Tyler says he looked up to Cade as a vital role model in his life and some of his favorite memories with Cade include cracking jokes together in AP Bio, spending countless hours playing tennis both back home and in Lexington, and spending late nights with friends driving through York.

Recently, we lost a dear friend of the Washington and Lee community. Cade Gold, ’20, spent every day bettering himself and those around him.

Cade grew up with his parents, little sister and extended family in York, Pa.

In high school, he was president of the National Honor Society, a first team all-conference quarterback and team captain of two league champion football teams, and a captain of the league champion lacrosse team.

Entering college, he planned to major in biochemistry with a focus in pre-med, and in his first year, became a founder and  vice president of the Washington and Lee Pre-Health club.

He aspired to be a cardiothoracic surgeon and held a vast knowledge of anatomy, especially the heart. In his free time, Cade enjoyed running, hiking, biking, kayaking, golfing and tennis.

Cade has a long list of accomplishments, but he was best known for his kind personality and outstanding character. Although he was a natural leader, no one displayed more humility than Cade.

He focused less on his achievements and more on figuring out how to better himself. No one spent more time on the field running drills or in the library studying for classes.

He was a fierce competitor, but he competed most intensely with himself. He was never satisfied with a poorly thrown ball or not knowing a question on a test, and he often pushed himself to correct his own mistakes.

Cade was an extremely curious person, and he never stopped learning and asking questions. He was always one to stop and ask how your day has been, sit at a different lunch table to meet new friends, or tell you a corny joke or two.

He left a tremendous impression on anyone who had the pleasure of meeting him. He was beyond loyal to each of his friends and always knew what would cheer others up. He elevated his teammates and brightened his professors’ classes.

Cade was wise beyond his age, and he is still bringing others together to this day.

He never broke his calm demeanor, always gave others a wide grin and drew people in with his infectious laugh. Cade was an unparalleled athlete, scholar and friend.

He will be dearly missed, but he will never be forgotten.

Note from editor from last week about Cade Gold:

President Dudley wrote to students, faculty and staff on Saturday morning, March 17, to share the news of the passing of sophomore Cade Gold at his home in York, Pa., the night before.

Dudley shared that Cade was a biochemistry major and a founder of the Pre-Health Club, as well as a former member of the football team.

“Our community is composed of many unique individuals, and the loss of any one is a tragedy for us all,” Dudley wrote in his email. “I know that you join me in conveying our deep sorrow and sincere condolences to Cade’s parents and family. We have offered them any assistance the university can provide.”

Community members gathered for a vigil in front of Lee Chapel on Sunday night, March 18, to mark Cade’s life and share memories of his time on W&L’s campus.