Art theses exhibit displays diversity of seniors’ creativity

Works by 10 seniors, a year in the making, were featured in Wilson Hall’s Staniar Gallery

Elizabeth Underwood, Arts & Life Writer

Washington and Lee’s recent art theses exhibition gave visitors to Staniar Gallery and the Lykes Atrium a glimpse into the year-long projects of senior studio art majors.

The exhibits, which were up for two weeks, showcase stories through different mediums.

Caroline Drennen’s thesis work. Photo by Elizabeth Underwood, ‘20

One attention-grabbing piece was Caroline Drennen’s, ‘18, “I Am Jack Goodacre,” for which she invented a W&L student named “Jack Goodacre” and used Instagram and a blog to formulate an alter ego she created. Since her junior year, she used this character to look at different realities or perceptions of reality in regard to social media.

“Since my senior year, it’s mostly been focused on developing his brand as an artist, so I took mixed media drawing in the fall,” Drennen said. “All my work I did under his name.”

Drennen’s art piece featured nine drawings, a wall of Jack Goodacre’s Instagram posts (@jackgoodacre97) and a series of artifacts, including “Save Windfall” and Fancy Dress t-shirts.

She encouraged people to see the art show because it featured “such a variety of different perspectives and different types of art that you don’t always see in a college show.”

Amberly Wang, ‘18, discussed her piece “Anima,” meaning “soul” in Latin, which is a minimalistic-style animated film about music and choir that incorporated original music written by Michael Colavita, ‘18.

“It’s about music and choir and about the role that those two things have had on my life,” Wang said. “I made this allegorical story about my choral experience during my time in college. It follows the story of this girl who is making her way through the world, encounters this traumatic event and has to learn how to move on from that.”

Wang noted how impressed she has been by the W&L art community.

“I think it’s great to see the talent that this campus has to offer,” Wang said. “The senior theses exhibit is great because these are artists who are in your classes and are people who you see everyday. It’s a really cool experience to see what they’ve been working on and what matters to them.”

The exhibition featured a variety of other work from other Class of 2018 artists Ellen Kanzinger, Sara Dotterer, McKenna Quatro, Ruth T. Smith, Leigh Poetzsch, Ryan Brink, Audrey Dangler and Hayley Price.