Women’s golf places seventh in Golfweek Invitational

Women’s Golf finishes up the fall season with a strong performance in Florida

Caroline Holloway, ‘18, leads a strong core of four sophomores. Photo courtesy of W&L Sports Info.

Claude Miller

The Washington and Lee women’s golf team concluded its fall season by placing seventh in the three-day Golfweek Division III Fall Invitational.  The annual event was held at the Raven Golf Club in Sandestin, Fla.

The tournament featured competitive programs from across the country.  Texas-Tyler claimed the top spot in the tournament, shooting a three-day score of 315-303-313, which amounted to a total score of 67 over par. Close behind was Sewanee with a second place score of 68 over par (309-310-313).  Washington (Mo.) finished in third at 76 over par (312-309-319). Washington and Lee finished the three days with scores of 321, 324, and 214 respectively, for a total of 95 over par.

Spectators witnessed impressive performances from Washington and Lee sophomores Caroline Holloway and Mary-Frances Hall. Holloway finished ninth out of 90 golfers in the field with a score of 76-80-77 (+17).  Hall recorded a score of 82-77-79 (+22), tying for 17th place.

“I’m happy overall, but I could have done a lot better,” Holloway said.

Texas-Tyler Senior and 2013 National Champion Laura Lindsey was crowned individual champion after carding a two over 218 (74-68-76).

Other notable Generals performances came from sophomore Liza Freed who shot a total of 243 (+27), which put her in a tie for 34th place, and from Team Captain Sara Moir, who finished in 56th place with a +35 score of 251.

After placing third last season at the event, the Generals had hoped to replicate their past successes.

“We came in with high expectations,” Holloway said. “After our success last year it was hard to view this as a new tournament.”

As the golf team hit their tee shots and putts, the rest of the student body was preparing for midterm exams.

“Balancing schoolwork with the golf can sometimes be a challenge,” Moir said. “Most players on the men’s and women’s teams had tons of papers and studying to make up during the trip.”

Participating in the tournament brought more than competitive success for the team.

“It’s always a lot of fun to travel together,” Moir said. “Going far away together is a great bonding experience.”

While for most of the players the trip was a short escape from Lexington, for Holloway it was more of a homecoming. She competed in her home state of Florida and gladly embraced the warm weather.

The Golfweek Fall Invitational marked the end of the fall golf season, but expectations for the spring season are high. Led by a strong sophomore class, the Generals expect a strong run when the team reconvenes next semester.

“We plan to work hard in the offseason and hope to have top finishes in our spring tournaments,” Moir said. “We definitely want to win the ODAC tournament and return to the NCAA national championship for the second year in a row.”