Dhall Coffee: Is it worth it?

Rachel Hicks

It’s Sunday morning.  You’re all snug in bed, fuzzy covers engulfing your comfortably sleepy self in hypnotic lullaby vibes. Nothing and no one, not your annoying alarm nor your homework’s nagging voice, has the power to snap you out of your nirvana. Your forehead has “ten more minutes” written all over it until you hear something more heavenly than bliss.

A huff, a few puffs, a grinding just slow enough to please the ear, a slight pause, and the magical sound of spouting coffee climb up the stairs and into your bedroom.

All of a sudden, a field of sweet memories bloom in your awakening brain.  You remember the giant mug you painted bright yellow sunflowers all over at Just-Kiln-Time, that wintery morning you cuddled up by the fireplace, and your first date, warmth bubbling like spring water in your heart.

Beep. Coffee’s ready.

Coffee has played such a prominent role in your life; you will get out of bed for it. It was good back at Mama’s. She knew the correct beans to coffee ratio, and you only had to walk down one flight of stairs to reach the pot of Golden Coffee.

But we aren’t at Mama’s anymore, are we?

At Washington and Lee, there are several options for coffee; however, their beans to water ratio is unsatisfactory and they are far away from your bed.

What about Dhall coffee? Is or is it not worth getting out of bed for?

I’ve heard rumors that Royal Coffee Company donates its bad batches to Dhall; however, the truth will remain up to our imaginations.

Chemistry pro, Mallory Stephenson ‘18, comments on Dhall coffee’s pH, “Freshman year I didn’t realize how bad Dhall coffee was…it tasted so acidic.”  If anyone is qualified to comment on the acidity of a beverage, it’s Mallory.

Michelle Fleenor ‘18 admits, “I mean I’ll drink it as a last resort.  I also don’t want to pay money so I’ll drink Dhall over Lexco.”

Dhall really is a freshman’s only free option, and when you are a college student with two large papers to write in one day, coffee is needed and in large and cheap amounts.

If you’re debating whether or not to grab a third cup of coffee before your afternoon class, go for it.  There is solid evidence that the health benefits of generous doses of coffee outweigh the unpleasantries.

It may please you to know that coffee in the morning can cure the damage done from last night’s alcohol consumption.  According to a 2006 study in the Huffington Post, people who drink at least one cup of coffee each day are significantly less likely to develop liver cirrhosis, a disease caused by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.

Not only does coffee help liver problems, but it also is one of the best antioxidants and helps prevent heart disease.

Mary Hampton McNeal ‘19 speaks for most freshmen when she says, “I love to get Dhall coffee because I love to use the cups for Dhall ice-cream.”

While McNeal has a good idea, maybe we should skip the ice-cream and fill our cups with what they were made for–Dhall coffee, no matter how acidic it is.  It’s better to force down some motor-oil tasting caffeine than to fall asleep during your history exam.  Plus, a little stomach ache now is worth prevention of liver failure in the future.