Campus Rec puts on theme week, raises awareness for breast cancer

Campus Rec sponsors a Pink Week during breast cancer awareness month, including a climbing trip, sporting event and fitness classes

Alexandra Cline

Games and pink outfits were only a few of the ways Washington and Lee’s Campus Recreation program spread awareness for breast cancer.

From Oct. 24-28, Campus Rec sponsored a Pink Week that featured themed activities and fundraisers to benefit the Roanoke Chapter of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Coinciding with breast cancer awareness month, Pink Week was created to strengthen the cause on cam- pus and provide an opportunity to interact with members of the community through special programming.

“I thought a Pink Week during October would be an opportunity to offer a few special events while also raising awareness and supporting a good cause,” Director of Campus Recreation Ray Ellington said. “I lost my mom to breast cancer, and the cause is one that means a lot to me.”

The first fundraiser of its kind at W&L, Pink Week began with a climbing wall trip on Oct. 24 at the Outing Club barn–an event called Pink Pinnacle.

To follow that, Campus Rec encouraged members of the community to wear pink to the women’s volleyball and field hockey games during the week. Those who tweeted selfies at the games to the Campus Rec Twitter account were entered for a chance to win prizes.

Campus Rec also hosted a sporting event of its own–a Pink Dodgeball Tournament in which teams could enter to play for $10. The winners of the event received t-shirts as prizes.

“Our goal in this was really to raise awareness for breast cancer while having fun participating in rec- reational events,” Ellington said.

To conclude the week, the organization hosted a special pink version of the weekly group exercise class WERQ in the dance studio. Students attending the class paid $5 for entry and were asked to wear pink in honor of the week.

Ellington believed the week-long program provided a chance to not only fundraise but also to expand the range of programs offered by Campus Rec, traditionally known for its intramural sports leagues.

“One of the goals is to offer more special events and not just structured leagues as part of Campus Rec programming,” Ellington said. “I thought a Pink Week during October was a golden opportunity.”

For the remainder of the year, Campus Rec also plans to hold other events to fundraise and encourage support for a variety of charities and programs.

“[Pink Week] is just the first of a few theme weeks or events that will become a Campus Rec tradition used to promote or raise awareness for causes,” Ellington said.