“Addams Family” production takes stage

“Spooky” student-performed musical comedy to open Thursday

Cast members backstage. Photo courtesy of Mike Bracy, 20

Cast members backstage. Photo courtesy of Mike Bracy, ’20

Maggie Barker

Washington and Lee’s Department of Theater, Dance and Film Studies and Department of Music premiere their production of the “Addams Family: A New Musical Comedy” on Thursday.

Performances will be held from Oct. 26-29 at 7:30 p.m. and from Oct. 28-29 at 2 p.m. in Lenfest Hall at the Johnson Theatre.

Audience members will see a whole new chapter of the Addams family’s lives on the stage. The “spooky” Addams family invites Wednesday’s “normal” boyfriend and his parents over for dinner, which results in a humorous and chaotic evening.

“It’s right before Halloween,” said Nick Mauer ‘20, who is playing straight-laced, conservative father Mal Beineke. “If you want to be spooked and also laugh out loud, then Addams family is the show for you.”

Cast members pose for a photo backstage. Photo courtesy of Mike Bracy, ’20

W&L’s performance departments work to make sure students can use their academic and artistic abilities to help contribute to the advancement of society and the arts. The cast and crew are excited about the production.

“We have a super talented cast and a hard working crew that have been working really hard to put it together,” said Hailey Glick, ‘19, who is playing troublesome brother Pugsley Addams. “It’s a show that makes you feel a lot of things. It makes you laugh and cry.”

Tickets are required for this event. Tickets cost $15 for adults, $13 for seniors, $11 for W&L faculty and staff, and $5 for W&L students. Students and faculty may pay with their university swipe.

Tickets are available online at wlu.edu/Lenfest-center and at the Lenfest Box Office. Lenfest Box Office hours are Monday–Friday, 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. The box office will open one hour prior to performance time. For further ticket information, call the box office at 540-458-8000.