Women’s track team focuses on building improvement

With the ODAC Championship just around the corner, the team hopes to reach its peak

Elly Cosgrove, Sports Writer

The Washington and Lee women’s track team placed fifth at the indoor ODAC championship, and are hoping for an ever better finish at outdoor ODACs in a few weeks.

“We try to jump into the season eager and ready, which is what we have done so far,” sprinter Jessica Rosenwasser, ‘19, said.

This year’s squad is young, so the team has focused on growth and improvement this outdoor season.

“Coach wanted us to know that we are definitely in the growing phase right now and just to be okay with improving our form,” jumper Leah Green, ‘21, said. “And just to know that if we feel like we’re in a funk it’s just building and a growing part of the training.”

Green, a young athlete herself, said collegiate track has “definitely been an adjustment from high school season.”

The Florida native competes in both the long jump and the triple jump, and said the weather has been the biggest challenge.

“It’s a lot colder outside, which is a huge change for me because it was always warm,” she said.

Green placed second in the triple jump at the Lynchburg Jack Toms Invitational on March 24.

“This year we were very excited to have so many new freshmen join the team, which is great because it means we have a lot of new talent,” Rosenwasser said. “With a young team, however, there is a lot of learning and room for growth.”

And the first-year athletes have shown growth.

The team had nine new personal bests at the Christopher Newport Invitational, its most recent meet on March 31. Six of those personal-bests were set by first-years.

Emma Coleman, ‘21, had two new personal bests in the discus and hammer throw; Clare Perry, ‘21, had a new personal best in the 400-meter; Didi Pace, ‘21, set a new personal best in the 1,500-meter; Kathryn Fagan, ‘21, set her new personal best in the 800-meter; and Samantha Kindsvater, ‘21, found her new personal best in the 200-meter.

With only one regular season outdoor meet left, Rosenwasser said the goal for the team, as always, is to compete for the ODAC championship.

“On a day by day basis our goal is to give all that we can in practices, make sure we stay healthy and injury-free,” she said.

Green said that now is the time for the first-years to reach their peak.

“We should be in the upward curve now because ODACs is in two or three weeks, so we are definitely trying to stay mentally tough,” she said.