Fulbright Scholars talk future plans

Two Fulbright Scholars reflect on their time at W&L and look to next year

Fulbright Scholars talk future plans

Adit Ahmed, Contributing Writer

Four graduating Washington and Lee students received Fulbright Scholar awards this year. According to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars’s website, the Fulbright Scholar Program provides grants to support international exchanges for students and scholars. About 1,600 U.S. students receive grants annually, and the Ring-tum Phi caught up with two of these students to ask them about their plans for the year.

Carson Bryant, ‘18

Hometown: Charlotte, N.C.

Majors(s)/Minor: Economics and German

Award: English Teaching Assistant Award

Location: Germany

Phi: What will you be doing?

Bryant: “I will be an English TA at a German School for approximately 10 months, which primarily entails working closely with German students in their study of English. This role is not simply instructional, however. I will serve as a resource and possible mentor to German students and will work alongside the teachers as a school resource and community member. I’ve also been placed in a school with a high concentration of minority students, which will present an additional layer of cultural translation to the experience.”

Phi: Why did you choose this program?

Bryant: “After spending time in Germany and studying the language, I felt that this program would be the next step in my cultural engagement with Germany. I was drawn to the program, not only by the chance to return, but by the opportunity to be in a teaching position. While teaching is not necessarily something that interests me in the long-term, I’ve learned quite a bit from working with youth in the past. Combining this with being in a country I’ve formed a close relationship with represents a unique and valuable opportunity, and ultimately, ended up on the top of the list of what I wanted to do after graduation.”

Phi: What do you hope to gain?

Bryant: “I hope to make a positive impact on German students–that is, I hope to be a source of not only language instruction, but of inspiration to German students who are interested in pursuing further cultural interaction with English and English-speaking countries. Personally, I hope to become a member of a German community. In the past, my stays in Germany have been relatively limited, so this will a way for me to become active and involved in whatever city or town I end up in.”

Phi: What do you hope to do beyond your Fulbright?

Bryant: “My plans are still up in the air. I could very well stay [in Germany] if the right opportunity presents itself. I’d consider going into real estate–perhaps on the international level, though I’m also considering attending graduate school abroad. I’ve looked at the possibility of a master’s [degree] in urban planning, or even pursuing an MBA. For now, I’m keeping my options open and seeing where the road takes me.”

Phi: How has W&L helped you?

Bryant: “W&L has given me a truly interdisciplinary education. While I have two majors, I’ve been able to engage intellectually in a number of areas, which I think has shown me the value in seeking out a well-rounded perspective on things. When I step into a German classroom next year, I’ll be able to draw on my diverse academic experiences to better understand the students, the educational environment and the wider context in which I’m working.”

Hannah Falchuk, ‘18

Hometown: Hockessin, Del.

Major(s)/Minor: Politics and Poverty/Human Capability Studies

Award: English Teaching Assistant Award

Location: Slovakia

Phi: What will you be doing?

Falchuk: “I will teach English at a secondary school in Slovakia. The program is designed to limit the number of teaching hours (about 15 per week) and encourage involvement in the community or school overall. I will likely start an English club that would include books, films, acting and debates. My school has a literature and humanities focus, and I know that the students already do some acting. I will teach, or assistant teach, students who have all levels of English knowledge. It’s taught in schools but is not generally spoken outside of academic or international situations. I also am planning to become involved with a group that holds academic or enrichment programming specifically for Roma children and teenagers. My town is small and rural, so I am hoping that–as in Lexington–I can get to know the lay of the land once I arrive.”

Phi: Why did you choose your program?

Falchuk: “I felt like I had something to offer young people, and women especially, as a native English speaker interested in Slovakia’s language and culture. I lived in the country’s capital last year while working at an English-language newspaper. I loved the experience, though I saw the more ‘luxurious’ side of the country, and I am excited for the language possibilities in the new setting. My original interest in going to Slovakia the first time was to practice and gain some language skills. My maternal grandfather had spoken Slovak, and his oldest sibling was born in the country. Since the town where I will live next year is just 20 miles from my great-grandmother’s hometown, I am definitely making a return to my roots!”

Phi: What do you hope to gain?

Falchuk: “I want to speak Slovak fluently, which I could perhaps use as a jumping-off point to learning Russian and Ukrainian. I want to learn more about the interactions or the discriminations faced by Roma in schools or towns, and I want to delve more into my own interests of writing and community engagement. I have had fantastic models of classroom experiences, and I hope to learn what style of discussion-leading or instructing fits me best. The Fulbright gives a sense of prestige, and the funding that is attached gives me personal freedom for my time in the country. I hope that being mindful of both of these, while [also] being an active learner, will help me make the most of the ten months.”

Falchuk: “I want to work in a career that allows me to write and use, or learn, multiple languages. If I can use the humanities in a way that will promote the ideas of justice or freedom, that would be my ideal job.”

Phi: How has W&L helped you?

Falchuk: “The Fulbright advisor, Jon Eastwood, patiently read and commented on all the drafts that I brought him. But what I wrote about in my essays were my experiences from the self-initiated internship that W&L funded, the questions of Slovak society that my professors have over four years helped me to learn how to ask and the confidence in myself to be an effective leader, [all of which] I found while engaging in W&L and the Rockbridge County community at large.”