Young Alumni Weekend, campus and athletic events canceled for hurricane

This marks the first on-campus reunion event to be canceled in Washington and Lee’s history, according to the Alumni Affairs Office.

Hannah Denham

No young alumni events. No home athletic events. No Black and White Ball or Unity Cookout.

That was the forecast on campus this past weekend, despite an underwhelming visit from Hurricane Florence, which was projected to bring severe thunderstorms and flooding but only left Lexington slightly soggy.

The Multicultural Student Association (MSA) hosts the annual Black and White Ball during homecoming weekend to offer an event inclusive of all students and to showcase their organization.

Ryann Carpenter, ‘20, the internal social chair, said MSA doesn’t have plans to reschedule the event at this point.

“I am personally very sad we had to cancel,” she said. “The cancellation of this event has prevented the chance for people from different places and cultures from getting together and developing relationships that could be very beneficial to them.”

Fraternities were unaffected by the cancellation and hosted social events for homecoming for the few alumni that were able to attend.

Will Young Alumni Weekend be rescheduled? As for now, Alumni Affairs isn’t sure.

Mary Webster, the associate director of engagement for Alumni Affairs, said the university’s calendar for the rest of this academic year is full.

“That just makes it harder for us to find the right, appropriate, celebratory way to not forget our fifth and 10th reunions,” Webster said. “I imagine the talks in the coming weeks will be about, ‘Do we just abandon those, or are there other things we can do to accomplish the same thing?’ So we’ll see. …We’re trying to think out of the box.”

Friday night’s football game against Maryville College was originally rescheduled to Thursday, Sept. 20, but now it’s canceled too.

Joshua Breece, ‘21, a running back for the football team, went home to northern Virginia for the weekend.

“It’s really unfortunate but since it was an out-of-conference game, it doesn’t affect us too much,” he said. “Now we are all dialed in on Randolph-Macon, which starts conference play for us.”

Both the men’s and women’s soccer games were also canceled, as well as the volleyball team’s matches at Averett University and the tennis tournament.

Sutton Travis, ‘19, contributed to this story.