General of the Week: Meg Guignon ‘19

Meg Guignon, ‘19, registered her 1,000th career kill during volleyball’s 3-1 win over DeSales on Sept. 7. The outside hitter registered this milestone kill midway through the third set during the Washington and Lee Invitational at the Duchossois Tennis Center. The Ring-tum Phi sat down with Guignon to talk about her latest achievement, as well as her life both on and off the court.

Meg Guignon, ’19. Photo courtesy of W&L Sports Info.

Elly Cosgrove

Ring-tum Phi: What brought you to Washington and Lee?

Meg Guignon, ‘19: I found Washington and Lee through the volleyball recruitment process. I chose to come here because I loved the team, campus and community when I visited.

Phi: Did you know you were close to getting 1,000 kills this season?

MG: I knew that I was close to 1,000 kills, but I did not focus too much on it while we were in matches.

Phi: What are some of your goals for senior year?

MG: Most of my goals line up with our team goals of going undefeated in the ODAC and winning the ODAC championship overall. But, personally, I just want to enjoy every second I get to play competitive volleyball my last year.

Phi: What are your plans for after college?

MG: I am currently applying to accelerated BSN nursing schools to get my RN license!

Phi: What is your favorite memory so far as a Generals volleyball player?

MG: I don’t know if I have a specific memory that I like better than anything else. I just really love my team and this amazing opportunity that I have to play the game that I love with these amazing people.

Phi: Do you have any weird pre-game rituals? Or any pregame routines in general?

MG: I do not have any weird pre-game rituals. I usually listen to music or hang out with the team in the locker room.

Phi: What do you think has changed most about your game from freshman year to now?

MG: I used to be a very emotional player my freshman year and I think I have grown a lot in my mental toughness since then. I also think I can focus my attention on my team more than myself a lot better since freshman year.   

Phi: What is most challenging about being a student-athlete in your opinion?

MG: I think that the most challenging part is organizing your schedule and completing assignments on time. Once you can efficiently organize your academic and athletic schedule it gets a lot easier.