General of the Week: Megan Engeland, ‘19

Captain Megan Engeland, ‘19, recorded her second-career hat trick in a 4-2 victory over Shenandoah on Oct. 5. The midfielder is having a strong season as she leads the team in goals scored with eight. The Phi sat down with Engeland to discuss her last ride in the blue and white.

Pete Emerson

Photo courtesy of Washington and Lee Athletics.

Jimmie Mack Johnson III

Ring-tum Phi: How did it feel scoring a hat trick against Shenandoah?

Megan Engeland, ‘19: “Our games against Shenandoah are always gritty and competitive, so it was nice to come out of this one with a win. I was having some trouble finishing leading up to that game, and it definitely felt good to put some goals away. But my goals that game all started with the hard work of my teammates, and they made my job of finishing easy, so I owe most of the credit for the hat trick to them.”

Phi: Why did you decide to play soccer in college?

ME: “I’ve been playing soccer since I was three. There was never really a time when I thought about not playing soccer. Coming to college, playing soccer was something that I knew I had to do in order to have the college experience I wanted, and I knew I’d regret it if I decided not to play.”

Phi: Do you have any pregame rituals?

ME: “I have a certain system of doing things. I have to drink blue Gatorade. I have to roll before I leave the locker room. I always put my uniform on in a certain way. I start with my right cleat then left cleat, then right shin guard then left shin guard. Weird things like that.”

Phi: What is your favorite W&L soccer memory?

ME: “Definitely winning ODACs sophomore year. All around that season was competitive and enjoyable. Hopefully, we can come out with a win again this year.”

Phi: What do you think has changed most about your game from freshman year to now?

ME: “Probably my confidence level. As a freshman, you don’t really know what to expect going into a college game, but the more I’ve played the more I’ve learned to trust my abilities, and I think that has helped tremendously, especially in big games.”

Phi: What are your plans for after college?

ME: “I’m currently applying to graduate schools for next year and I’m hoping to end up with a career in neuroscience research!”

Phi: What has been your favorite part about being a student-athlete?

ME: “Probably all of the people I’ve met while playing soccer. My teammates and coaches have been the most important people in my college experience. They support me, push me to be my best every day, and are an endless enjoyment to be around. Without soccer I never would have met some of my best friends and biggest role models.”