SSA still accepting student, faculty proposals

The multi-disciplinary conference can include music performances, poetry readings, drama productions, research presentations and more

A poster at a table in the Commons Living Room explains the different aspects of Science, Society and the Arts Conference. Photo by Coleman Martinson, 21.

Coleman Martinson

While Washington and Lee University’s biannual Science, Society and the Arts conference is just over a month away, students and faculty still have a chance to get involved.

Students have until Feb. 15th to submit their research or creative work proposals to the SSA general committee, which is comprised of students and faculty members. SSA will be held in mid-March this year.

“Whether the work you want to present is artistic, scientific or somewhere in between, we will have an avenue for you to share it with others,” Communications Committee Member Alankrit Shatadal, ‘21, said in an email.

The conference is a multi-disciplinary event, which allows students on campus to present original work to an audience of their peers, faculty and staff, according to the SSA website.

The weekend of events will recognize the important role all disciplines play in the liberal arts community here on campus, Committee Member Allen Litvak, ‘21, said.

“SSA is a celebration of our community and our students’ accomplishments,” Litvak said. “It gives the entire community the opportunity to appreciate and learn from each other, especially in fields and disciplines we would not otherwise be exposed to.”

Performances and other activities will begin March 15, and the day-long conference will take place March 16. Performances can include music performances, poetry readings, drama productions, film documentaries and much more, Litvak said.

In the fall, students had the opportunity to join a colloquium, which is a meeting of many different book or film clubs. There are 21 different colloquia that students could join this year, with topics ranging from Michelle Obama’s memoir, “Becoming,” to the television series “Sharp Objects.”

Sculptor and illustrator Gary Staab will deliver the keynote address on March 16.

Staab is known best for his work in creating prehistoric life sculptures and models. According to his website, he has produced work for the National Geographic Society, the National Park Service, Walt Disney Animation Studios and more.

“The keynote speaker, Gary Staab, will be giving a talk on how he brings dinosaurs and mummies to life through art, including 3D rendering and sculpting, and how this serves our understanding of ancient societies and animals,” Litvak said.

For more information on how to submit a proposal, visit the conference’s website at www.wlu.edu/ssa.