FUDG makes a comeback with poetry night

After a year long hiatus, W&L’s favorite under-ground coffee shop is back with live performances

Yizhen Zhou

It’s Washington and Lee’s unhidden secret: Friday Night Underground.

Hosted at the basement of the 205 E. Washington, ARC house, FUDG is an alcohol-and-drug-free space. Coffee, tea, and snacks are provided from 8 p.m. until 12 a.m., while people hang out, listen to music or play games.

Welcoming all talents, FUDG live performances include solos, bands, poetry readings and dances. Karaoke nights and other special events will also occur throughout the year.

This year, FUDG opened the term with a poetry open mic night on Sept. 24. Seven students read both poems of their own or poems by others that had inspired them. The event was full of laughter and audience comments, including: “We want cringe! We want cringe!”

FUDG was founded back in 2015 by Kassi Scott, ’18, Elaina Prilla-man, ’17, and Austin Frank, ’17, with the assistance of Dr. Kirk Luder. Sponsored by the university, it was created as a showcase for talented students and as an alternative to the party scene.

“My favorite thing about FUDG is how it breaks down social barriers here at W&L,” said Kathryn Muensterman, bartender and co-leader of FUDG. “Independent and Greek students, all class years, all walks of life on campus come to hang out and get to know one another over coffee, games, and student performances.” There’s “something for everyone.”

Muensterman leads FUDG with Eli Bradley, ’22, and Rose Hein ’22.

“It’s been amazing to see FUDG already thriving again this year,” Muensterman said.

Bradley and Hein said they hope more people will join the future FUDG sessions.

Their reasoning?

“This is the lowest stake environment on campus, what’s the worst that could happen?”