The 60s are coming to W&L with “BEEHIVE”

Auditions for the jukebox musical are kicking off this week

Catherine McKean

BEEHIVE celebrates female empowerment.

Meaghan Endres, Staff Writer

Rest your voices and brush up on your dance moves, because it’s audition season at Washington and Lee University. 

This year, the theater department will be putting on “BEEHIVE: The 60s Musical,” a lively show that pays tribute to the tumultuous era that was the 1960s. The show celebrates the music, dancing, fashion and culture of this era.

The show is a jukebox musical, with each number stemming from a classic 1960s hit. Some renditions include “River Deep Mountain High,” “My Boyfriend’s Back,” “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” and “It’s My Party.” 

BEEHIVE celebrates female empowerment and calls upon young women to raise their voices and speak their minds, especially in times of trial and uncertainty. 

BEEHIVE is a female-led show, featuring six unique female characters who each have their own singing styles and vibrant personalities. The show also features a prominent ensemble, and men and women alike are needed to support the six leading ladies with background vocals and dancing. 

Assistant Student Director Daniel Reiter, ‘26, encourages everyone to audition regardless of skill level. 

“We want everyone to feel welcome to participate and join our theater family,” Reiter said. “If you’re able to carry a tune and are willing to put in the effort, then consider auditioning.”

The theater department is especially eager to encourage participation after setbacks during last year’s production. The department had initially planned to perform “All Shook Up,” but was compelled to switch to “Tick, Tick, Boom!” when auditions produced an insufficient ensemble. 

To make the show even more appealing to auditioners and audience members alike, the university has received special permission to alter the script to be more historically accurate and better reflect the diverse culture and political climate of the decade. 

Auditions will be held on Nov. 10-12 in Keller Theater from 7 to 10 p.m.

According to the audition form, “The audition will involve reading short excerpts from the show, a vocal audition, and a little bit of movement.” Singing auditions will only be held in front of the director, music director and stage managers. 

Interested students can sign up to audition at Go.wlu.edu/theater/beehiveauditions.