The case for Foodside’s “Indi-coop”

As “Mexi-coop” takes its leave before the end of the semester, W&L students have the chance to try dining services’ take on Indian food

Austin Winslow

Foodside’s “Indi-coop” debuted this semester after the highly popular “Mexi-coop” offerings retired.

Austin Winslow, Staff Writer

For the last couple of weeks before the end of the semester, Foodside has changed its offerings from Mexican-style bowls to Indian food. Mexi-coop is traditionally a fan favorite, but I’m here with a cold take that the change was needed. 

Mexi-coop was available for over three months, and I personally was ready for the change. This might be part of why I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. 

The offerings at “Indi-coop” include bowls like those from Mexi-coop and mini-naans comparable to your burrito tortlla. 

You get unlimited toppings and dressings and a choice of base and protein as usual. There are some changes to the topping options, including beets, pickled ginger and peas. There is also tikka sauce and spinach sauce to add traditional flavors. 

In addition to the chicken and cauliflower offered at Mexi-coop, Indi-coop offers chana masala (chickpea-based) and ginger-braised lamb instead of the pulled pork. 

While I don’t necessarily feel the need to try many of the new toppings, I was a fan of the tikka sauce. It felt fairly close to what I have tried at Indian restaurants in the past, and the flavor added a lot to my bowl. 

Otherwise, things felt fairly similar to Mexi-coop. If you get chicken, it isn’t different from the chicken you may get at Mexi-coop, and you can still have rice as a base. 

However, if you choose, Indi-coop gives many new options that provide lots of flavor, especially if you are someone that likes to stick to the salad bar and deli at D-hall. Turmeric rice and a kale and superfood mix are new options as bases that allow you to try something different in a bowl, and naan is a fluffy potato bread that changes it up if you are used to a burrito. 

While I couldn’t try it because I have Celiac’s, the naan is reportedly delicious, and about what you would expect. If you are looking to try something new and different, you can definitely find it at Indi-coop. 

One suggestion I would make is with the proteins. The grilled chicken is good, but it doesn’t really simulate butter chicken in the way I was expecting. Indi-coop would be a lot better with flavorful, spicy chicken that brings it closer to what you would be able to find anywhere else that offers Indian food. Additionally, adding more grilled vegetables, besides cauliflower, would add a lot to the meal, especially considering you can only choose one “main” option without paying more. You can’t get very many vegetables that are traditionally included in Indian dishes here, which is something that could be improved.  

I was impressed overall by the flavor of my meal at Indi-coop, and if I could have eaten the bread, it would have been even better. 

The sauces also helped Indi-coop distinguish itself from Mexi-coop. I personally am a fan of the kale superfood base that helps get more veggies in with a bowl. 

After months of Mexi-coop, I am happy with the offerings at Foodside for the upcoming weeks closing the semester and will definitely make the trek from Gaines a few more times to get it.