W&L women’s track sets four program records at VMI winter relays

First-years Bailey Hedgemon, Kate Scibelli and Jesma Evans were among the 17 top-eight finishers last weekend

Madelyn Venable, ‘25, records an 11.08 meter mark in the women’s triple jump event to place third overall and second in the program. Photo courtesy of Generals Sports

Stef Chiguluri, Sports Editor

The Generals’ women’s track and field team closed out the Virginia Military Institute winter relays meet last weekend with 17 top-eight finishes and three new program records.
The team saw a successful start to the meet last Friday night with first-year students leading the way. Bailey Hedgemon, 26, tossed 14.12 meters in women’s weight event, breaking her own previous school record to claim seventh place. Kate Scibelli, ’26, placed second in the 1,000 meter race with a time of 3:06.94, also setting a new school record. Jesma Evans, ’26, crossed the finish line in 3:10.67 and placed fourth in the same event.
Hedgemon continued her success in the throwing circle on Saturday, placing seventh in the shot put. She recorded a new personal record with a toss of 11.26 meters, second on the program’s all-time list.
Hedgemon didn’t have many expectations going into the season.
“I wanted to find my place on the team, campus and as a college student-athlete. Now that I am starting to find my footing, I want to start building some goals for the future,” she said.
Carolyn Todd, ’23, placed first in the 3,000 meter run on Saturday. Her time of 10:22.91 moved her into the program’s top-five list for the indoor event at number four.
Todd expects more records to come.

Top-eight finishes at the Virginia Military Institute winter relays. Photo courtesy of Generals Sports

“I personally have been able to improve my PRs every race,” she said. “Definitely hoping for bigger things as the season goes on.”
Katelyn Gamble, ’24, raced on Saturday to set a 200 meter record. She placed second overall in a field of 17 runners with a time of 25.54 seconds. Gamble beat her own record of 25.82 seconds which she set last winter season at the ODAC Indoor Track and Field Championships.
Madelyn Venable, ’25, finished the 60 meter hurdles final in fifth place with a time of 9.45 seconds. Her preliminary time of 9.35 seconds put her into the program’s top-5.
Parker Longood, ‘23,  finished sixth in the women’s long jump event with a 5.18 meter mark which is fourth-best in program history.
Senior Parker Hawk finished second in the women’s mile with a time of 5:12.18, a personal record. She is looking forward to seeing the team’s success continue.
“I think it’s been incredible how many PRs we’ve already had this season,” Hawk said. “There’s a lot of people that I know can run so much faster, and I’m really excited to see that.”
The Generals will finish out the regular indoor track and field season at the Joe LaRocco Invitational at Roanoke College on Saturday.