Evan Blair’s outstanding pitches propel the Generals to early victories

Blair, ’25, has received national recognition in DIII athletics for his strong contributions to W&L’s early wins

Chris Torre

Evan Blair, ‘25, takes his stride as he prepares his throw for the Generals. Photo by Chris Torre, ‘24.

Ryan Raicht, Staff Writer

Sophomore right-hander Evan Blair, ’25, was an integral part of the Generals baseball team’s success last season. And he has only kept improving.
Blair posted an exceptional 2.92 ERA in 12.1 innings and 18 strikeouts this season. He has received national recognition for his standout performances. Blair was named to D3Baseball.com’s Team of the Week after a strong performance against Ursinus College at the start of the season in February. He also received the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Pitcher of the week honors that same week.
“I wasn’t expecting it at all. I didn’t really know how to react,” Blair said. “It’s the first time anything like that’s happened. I know all the guys on the team have my back and they’re proud of me, and I was proud of myself for the hard work I was putting in and receiving that award. But, I’m going to try to get another one.”
Blair played significant innings as a first-year, appearing in 16 games and totaling 41.0 innings pitched. In those 41 innings, he posted a 2.41 ERA with 51 strikeouts. Blair was recognized as an ODAC Second Team All-Conference Reliever in 2021.
There was not much that Blair needed to change heading into his second year with the program, but he wanted to keep improving all facets of his game.
“I took the summer off in terms of throwing but really focusing on getting my body right, getting more flexible, more athletic, and just mainly focusing on some of the stuff I’ve been working on, whether that be an off-speed pitch or fastball location,” Blair said. “I had a good year last year, but I wanted to be better.”

A man in a blue baseball uniform stands at a pitcher's mound.
Evan Blair, ‘25, winds up a pitch for the Generals. Photo by Chris Torre, ‘24. (Chris Torre)

The Generals are off to a hot 9-3 start, with big wins over ODAC opponents Averett University and Guilford College.
“I think besides the new faces, we have a new approach that was really instilled to us by our coaches,” Blair said. “We’re focusing on a few main goals this season trying to win every week.”
The team has seen major contributions from first-years, including third baseman Nick Lagges, ’26, and right fielder Paul Ramseur, ’26.
“This group also really meshed well from day one,” Blair said. “You could really tell, from the first two practices in the fall to our first game, that the group came out really energized. The energy is just unmatched and because it’s especially a young group, they’re all hungry and we’re all just trying to win every game.”
From an offensive side, the Generals are tearing it up at the plate. Sophomore Campbell Charneco, ’25, leads the team with a .452 batting average, while senior Mitchell Salvino, ’23, leads the team with three home runs.
The Generals’ next contest is Tuesday, March 14, when they will take on Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Virginia.