Theater Dept. hosting Spamalot auditions this week

Alexandra Seymour

Showcase your performing talents and be a little silly by auditioning for Washington and Lee theater department’s production of Monty Python’s musical comedy Spamalot.

Auditioners will be required to act, sing and dance at the auditions on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. But people shouldn’t be dissuaded from auditioning if they’re not a triple threat because not every role needs each skill.

Director Jemma Levy said that she seeks performers who are willing to take risks and be amenable to whatever is thrown their way.

“The fact that you’re willing to go in there and try it and throw yourself full force into it means a lot to me as a director because it means that you’re not going to come in and say ‘I can’t,’” Levy said.

The choreography is going to be specific to W&L’s production rather than stick with the usual movements, so it will be adjusted depending on the cast’s capabilities.

Since the show is adapted from the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Levy also said she plans to update the specific references to keep the audience engaged and connected.

“It’s important to me that if we’re doing this production for the students that the references should be things that the students are familiar with, not something that my grandmother or even I’m familiar with,” Levy said.

Levy, who is new to W&L this year, has never directed a musical before, but she thinks this will be to her advantage because she will bring an interesting and unconventional perspective to the show.

Being new also puts a lot of pressure on Levy because no one knows who she is or how it is to work with her. But she intends to “blow everyone out of the water” with this production because it is her way of proving to students that they’re going to want to come back and work with her again.

“This has to be a ‘welcome to campus’ kind of thing,” Levy said.

After auditions, rehearsals will be five days a week, but Levy said she will be mindful of students’ time when coordinating rehearsal schedules and won’t call them when not needed on stage.

“The pay-off at the end is that we end up with a really fantastic production,” Levy said. “I think [the time commitment] is going to be worth it.”