Generals of the Week

Ian McDonald and John Carrick

Ian McDonald

Ian McDonald, a sophomore from Richmond VA, led the W&L Men’s Cross Country team to a third place team finish in the ODAC Championship race on Saturday. He placed first overall out of 110 runners with a time of 26:20.2, and was awarded Runner of the Year and First-Team All-ODAC honors. McDonald took some time out of his busy schedule to go “on the record” with the Ring-Tum Phi.

GenOfWeek-IAN

Phi: What do you do to prepare yourself pre-race?

IM:  Before warm-up, I either listen to music or joke around with the team. About an hour before the gun goes off, we start slow drills and warm up. After that, it’s a matter of focusing on the race, visualizing it, and getting ready to roll.

Phi: What kind of off-season preparation did you do for the season?

IM:  We compete in all three seasons. Over the summer, our training focuses on building up a strong aerobic base. We’ll run anywhere from 60 to 80 miles a week, with one 12+ long run each week.

Phi: What’s your favorite running memory?

IM: Last year, I went to a “last chance” meet at Liberty University. Last chance meets are unique because winning is irrelevant. The point is simply to run as fast of a time as possible. It’s comforting to see how cooperative runners can be, united with the intent of testing their limits. This meet stands out in my mind, because I ran 3:56 for a 1500–4:15 mile pace. It was my goal going into the season, and it was emotionally overwhelming to have run that fast.

Phi: Where is the most challenging cross-country track you’ve ever raced on?

IM:  Our home course, up by the Ruins, is the hardest course I’ve run on. It adds between 2 and 2.5 minutes to your time.

Phi: Did you play any other sports growing up?

IM:  I played soccer and baseball as a kid. I was awful at both of them.

Phi: Describe yourself in three words.

CH:  Caring, creative, and dedicated.

Phi: If you could play another sport what would it be?

IM:  I would like to be good at soccer. Unfortunately, I have no talent for it.

Phi: What do you like to do for fun?

IM:  I spend a lot of time hanging out with the Cross Country team. We can spend hours together, playing Super Smash Bros or something, without getting bored of each other.

Phi: Do you have a favorite athlete?

IM:  I’m a huge fan of Bernard Lagat. He has set both Kenyan and American records, and earned an unbelievable number of World medals. He’s consistently amazing, and always humble.

Phi: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

IM: I want to travel through either South America or Europe.

Phi: If you could listen to one band or artist for the rest of your life, who would it be?

IM: I would listen to OutKast. They have enough variety to keep me entertained.

John Carrick

John Carrick is a sophomore linebacker from Charlotte, North Carolina.  He played a huge role in the General’s win against Randolph-Macon with two key interceptions that helped secure the victory.  He has been an integral part of the Washington and Lee defense and so far has 50 tackles to go along with those two interceptions this season.

carrick2

Phi: How did you start playing football?

JC:  I wasn’t allowed to play contact football until I was about 10 or 11, I had to wait until I was bigger and had better coaching.  I actually never played Pop Warner growing up, instead I played in this league where there was a 200 pound weight limit at the beginning of the season, unlike Pop Warner where you have to weigh in every week, so I would see kids who seemed huge and think to myself “how did these kids only weigh 200 pounds a few weeks ago?  And obviously middle and high school football really got me into it as well.

Phi: What is your favorite football memory?

JC:  My junior year of high school I transferred from a big public school to a much smaller private school and that year we won a state championship.  The tournament wasn’t quite like it was at my old school but it was still really awesome to go out and win games with my team and bring home a championship.  Plus I got a really big ring out of it which is pretty cool.

Phi: What other sports did you play, if any?

JC: I played basketball up through middle school but my other main sport was baseball.  I played baseball for both my high school and for a travel team, but once I got accepted into here for football I decided I was better off just lifting in my offseason so I didn’t play as a senior.

Phi: Pregame rituals?

JC: I always have to be the first one taped, no matter what.  If I’m not, then I get really anxious.  After getting taped, I go talk to my Dad because he comes to every game.  Then I go get dressed.  Once I’m ready, I just walk around the locker room and focus myself.  I’ll listen to some classic rock, like AC/DC or something, if there’s no music in the locker room but I really just try to be focused for the game.

Phi: Favorite football player?

JC: Easy.  Luke Kuechly from the Panthers.  I grew up in Charlotte so I’ve always supported them even though I’m not the biggest Cam Newton fan.  But I love Kuechly.  He’s not the biggest guy, but he works hard and leads the team.  He’s smart, gets the job done, doesn’t showboat or talk trash.  Just my kind of player.

Phi: Favorite Gennies memory?

JC: I’m going to have to go with our last game when I caught an onside kick.  My first play ever playing football was on a kickoff and I actually dropped the ball and the other team recovered it.  My very first play was a fumble so it was great to finally make that play and recover the ball myself.