Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp outlines a new vision for the Republican Party

The Georgia governor shared his goals for how the party can regain trust among voters ahead of the November election
Julianna Stephenson
Georgia Governor Brian Kemp waves to the audience after sharing his thoughts on the future of the Republican Party.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp called for Republicans to take a new approach to politics in order to take back the White House in 2024.

In his speech on Saturday, he asked party leaders to reconcile with “three hard truths.”

First, he called for leaders to explain to voters what they would do for them rather than solely bash Democrats.

“We need to tell the people what we’re for and what we are going to do to restore the American Dream, protect American interests at home and abroad, and ensure our best days are ahead,” Kemp said.

It has long been speculated that Kemp could run for president in 2028 on his record of lowering taxes and standing up to Trump while governor.

Kemp ran for governor of Georgia in 2018 with the enthusiastic backing of then-President Donald Trump. Following the 2020 presidential election, his relationship with Trump soured as he rebuffed Trump’s calls to overturn the result in Georgia.

In August of last year, the governor posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, “The 2020 election in Georgia was not stolen. For nearly three years now, anyone with evidence of fraud has failed to come forward — under oath — and prove anything in a court of law. Our elections in Georgia are secure, accessible and fair and will continue to be as long as I am governor.”

His second “hard truth” was that the presidential nominee should stop focusing on the 2020 election.

“Focus on the future, [do] not look in the rearview mirror at past elections. Voters who will decide the race for the presidency are tired of hearing about 2020,” Kemp said.

Finally, and what Kemp said was most important, was to focus on nominating a candidate who could win against President Joe Biden in November.

“We need to nominate a candidate who can win the general election,” Kemp said. “It is simply unacceptable to me that Republicans have failed to win the popular vote for president for 20 years now.”