WLUR gets more equipment as interest increases

WLUR 91.5 FM allows students to experiment with live radio. Now it’s upgrading
Shannon Tozier
WLUR 91.5 FM is home to a diverse range of student shows featuring many different music genres and talk segments.

The university’s radio station has seen increasing upgrades as more students want to explore podcasting and live radio.

In summer 2023, those upgrades included all-new equipment.

Under the guidance of Steve Cross, the general manager of WLUR 91.5 FM, the radio station went through technological upgrades and expanded its podcast capabilities.

When Cross started at Washington and Lee in 2021, WLUR had a single production studio, he said. Now, the station has three podcast-capable studios and a solo recording booth called “the whisper room.”

WLUR is a part of the journalism department, but any student is welcome to use the equipment and host a show.

Cross said that access is “just a matter of reaching out” and he’ll “work with each student individually” to ensure their success on the air and in recordings.

The WLUR’s website states that “no previous on-air experience is needed and all training will be provided by our Station Manager.”

There are more upgrades in plans for WLUR in other areas.

Cross hopes to make the studios able to record videos for audiences on mediums like YouTube.

He said he already has the equipment, and now it needs to be set up in a user-friendly way. The station may also expand its reach to the community.

Cross wants to strengthen the radio tower’s signal to cover all western Virginia. Currently anyone can listen to the station online, but the actual signal only covers Rockbridge County.

Cross also said he would like to have a more vibrant recording space for larger groups, which could allow bands to perform live on the air.

In addition to providing students with hands-on opportunities to learn, Cross teaches a course, “Fundamentals of Audio Production and Voice Development,” where enrolled students combine theoretical knowledge with practice during their weekly hour-long shifts on WLUR and different production projects throughout the term.

“Audio production and using your voice is something that you can take with you to any major that you’re doing,” Cross said.