White Book review progresses

The White Book Review Committee is continuing research, open to student input

Happy Carlock

As Fall Term comes to a close, the White Book Review Committee continues to make adjustments to the Honor System.

According to junior Paqui Toscano, a member of the White Book Review Committee, the committee is busy coordinating with different members of the student body as it makes amendments to the White Book.

“We are still very much in the process of reviewing the current White Book and investigating certain questions as they come up,” Toscano said. “Which means keeping in touch with Executive Committee members, Honor Advocates and students so that we can revise the White Book in a way that improves upon the current system and, in doing so, better meets the needs of all parties involved.”

The members of the committee are in charge of their own individual projects in order to pay close attention to areas that need adapting.

“We want to be bringing our own fresh perspectives to the table so that we can all work together to better this system which is such an essential part of our campus,” Toscano said.

The White Book Review Committee meets every three years to discuss the Honor System and make amendments to the White Book based on the culture of the student body.

Sophomore Wilson Miller is this year’s Executive Committee secretary. He acts as liaison between the White Book Review Committee and the EC.

“The rationale is that it allows every student generation to have a voice in evaluating the white book,” Miller said. “The law students are here for three years, so every student who comes to W&L is going to have at least one year of the White Book review happening.”

According to Miller, the EC had over 30 applicants for the White Book Review Committee, which is significantly more than in years past. Miller said that the applicant pool was much more balanced this year, whereas in past years, mostly undergraduate male students applied.

“We try not to say, ‘We want to see this exact change,’” Miller said. “It’s best if the committee can go to the students and figure out what the best solution for the student body is on a certain issue, and then work with us to achieve that in the White Book.”

The White Book Review Committee is open to input from all students. The committee will meet with the Executive Committee at the beginning of Winter Term to touch base on the progress members have made.

“My biggest advice to students would be take advantage of contact with the committee,” Miller said. “Let them know their questions, their concerns, and input they have, good, bad, or neutral is good for them to hear as they go through the process.”